Skip to main content

Pop Music, Aliens, and Sanctification

Is it ok to blend in with pop culture's music?

Driving back from the Southern Baptist Convention gave me a lot of time to think. With my wife and son in the back seat asleep and with the cruise control set on the speed limit, sternly fixed in the slow lane, the mind wanders to the deep truths of Scripture.

One thing occurred to me in my long trek home- my taste in music has definitely changed. I remember when I became a Christian. The music that I listened to felt wrong for the first time and so I quickly found “Christian” music that sounded a lot like the secular music that enjoyed. I found it of course, it is not hard when I look back, it seems that most CCM artist today make new Christians their target audience. Unfortunately, many Christians never get beyond this point- which brings me to my point ... and I do have one.

Being conformed into the image of Christ is a process, brought on by the work of the Spirit inside of us. He does this by giving us a progressively purer image of Jesus Christ. After a while the things of the world become “yucky”, for lack of a better term. Anything that leaves the least little hint of sin in your mouth (or ear as the case may be) becomes distasteful.

The music I listen to today is nothing like the music I listened to as a new Christian. I believe this is a good sign, a sign of health. Now I want my Christian music to lift up the Lord Jesus Christ and praise His glory over all the things He rules, owns, and judges. I no longer care what the sound is like ( not as a priority anyway), because I am no longer seeking the approval of the culture that I am in. To put it more harshly, I even prefer that it sound odd to the unconverted- it should. The cross should seem foolish to those who are perishing.

I am grateful to artists like Derek Webb for putting music to Christ centered verses that are as strong theologically as they are artistic. Mr. Webb, you have a gift! And I issue a challenge to all other Christian artists- on the off chance that one of them may read this- to fill their songs with the hope of Jesus Christ and not even display a hint of wanting to become a “crossover artist.” Make a bold stand, because we need you.

We do reside as aliens and strangers in this world and the music that we make and the lives that we live ought to reflect that. Every song we write and every verse we pen should be for the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ to whom we bow. Let them know that we are different and sing it at the top of your lungs!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Boy your wife is some companion during travel! I'll stay awake next time so I can enjoy your music with you:) I agree Derek Webb's music is a blessing. David Crowder is also very Christ Centered.....and odd.

Thank you for obeying the speed limit.
Anonymous said…
Interesting.
Yeah, Derek Webb is really good. I like his music, especially "A New Law."
Another you should check out for mature Christian music is Keith Green if you havent already. He is from the 70's, but his lyrics (especially the song Asleep In The Light) punch me in the gut every time I hear them. The Lyrics are unabashedly striving for where we as Christians should be, as compared to where we are, and how it is really rather pitiful that we can't get out of self-centeredness.
Anyways, interesting thoughts man.
-Brandon

Popular posts from this blog

The Generation of Mark 13:30

At the beginning of Mark chapter thirteen Jesus is leaving the temple area and one of his disciples points out the grandure of the temple buildings. Jesus' remark to that disciple concerns the fact that these buildings will one day be torn down. The disciples question Him further as to the times of these events, and so begins an extended teaching from Jesus on the end times.As Jesus' remarks are drawing to a close, He makes this comment in Mark 13:30: "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." (NASB) So the reader is left to wonder the meaning of this statement. Either our understanding of generation is wrong, or we are understanding what Jesus meant by "these things" wrong. I think there are at least two solutions. The word for generation (genea: Greek) could mean, as some side column reference Bibles note, "the human race". This is possible, since the events have not all happened and the human race

Taming The Flesh Through Suffering

There are at least a dozen books in my pastoral library that deal with battling lust. It is true that this is a huge issue for men and a great source of stumbling to many men and many pastors for that matter - so on one hand I am glad they are there and I am grateful for the insight they have given to me. But I was really struck by a verse of Scripture this morning from 1 Peter 4:1b-2. "for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions, but for the will of God." Simply put, I believe Peter is telling us that those who are suffering for Christ's sake have their mind on Christ and suffering and not on the passions of the flesh. The reason so many men battle with lust and fleshly temptations (and I include myself in that group) is that our minds are far from the things of Christ. Suffering in the flesh is the direct opposite of indulging the flesh. The man who is getting lashes on his b

Is That A Bible I See Before Me?

The Weakness of Islamic Evangelism Lately I have been struck by the testimony of those who have suffered at the hands of kidnappers in Iraq. One issue that comes to the front of my mind is Islamic evangelism. Christian Science Monitor reporter Jill Carroll spoke to ABC News of her captors holding her at gunpoint and forcing her to read the Koran, which she did. After several days they asked why she had not yet converted to their beliefs. Explaining that she needed more time she continued to read. Again the question came to her about conversion. Finally and saddest of all, she told them that she would convert because she feared for her life. But this leaves us with a strange view of the Koran and the way that Islam chooses to do their evangelism. If the Koran were powerful in and of itself, those who seek to convert Christians to Islamic beliefs would not need to use guns in the process. That is, you should automatically appeal to your most powerful source. The fact that they use guns s