Skip to main content

Thinking Clearly About Election Day


I am against demonizing men. But many of the conversations I hear regarding the upcoming election are just that. People speak of our President as if he had no good qualities about him. And in the next breath they praise Mitt Romney as if he were the Savior of the world. Neither is true.

As Christians we need to step back and, as much as possible, clear our heads about the presidential candidates and what each of them truly believes. We need our thinking to be clear and clearly biblical.

I believe both are genuinely seeking to do what they believe is best for our country. That is, they are living and making decisions based on what they feel to be right. Neither of them is practicing outright deception, at least not in a way that is any different from the presidents in our past.

I also would not feel comfortable calling either of these men Christians, though they would both call themselves one. Barack Obama is a member of a Christian church, but one that in which the Bible holds little to no authority. Mainline Protestants have long since abandoned such a belief and reason now rules the day within those churches. So our president uses the Bible in the same way that his pastor and fellow parishioners do: only when it aligns with their own thinking.

Mitt Romney on the other hand is a Mormon, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints. The beliefs of this church are far from the beliefs of historic Christianity. Their view of the Trinity is far different than ours, and their view of the life to come would be unrecognizable to us. Thus, I would never feel right in calling Mr. Romney a Christian.


Both men have their positive qualities and both men have their negative qualities. They are mere humans and, like us, they need to be viewed as such. With that being said, I will vote for one of them. The law states clearly that I cannot tell you which one. But I will vote pro-life and pro-marriage in this election, just as I have always done. Neither man believes as I do, but one of them gets a little closer than the other.


So I advise you to look into the issues. Pray over them and then step into the voting booth and do as your heart leads you. I will not leave the booth rejoicing, nor will I rejoice when the results come in. My hope is in Christ and in Christ alone. And I eagerly await the day when he will return to this earth and set up his kingdom.


Love in Christ,
Pastor Mitch

Comments

Jamie Hodge Whitt said…
I would love to be able to have a conversation with you again one day. You have grown up completely and I have likewise, sometimes getting another opinion on some of the things I find troubling in life might be refreshing. Get my number from Monica or tell her to send me yours please if you wouldn't mind.

Popular posts from this blog

The Generation of Mark 13:30

At the beginning of Mark chapter thirteen Jesus is leaving the temple area and one of his disciples points out the grandure of the temple buildings. Jesus' remark to that disciple concerns the fact that these buildings will one day be torn down. The disciples question Him further as to the times of these events, and so begins an extended teaching from Jesus on the end times.As Jesus' remarks are drawing to a close, He makes this comment in Mark 13:30: "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." (NASB) So the reader is left to wonder the meaning of this statement. Either our understanding of generation is wrong, or we are understanding what Jesus meant by "these things" wrong. I think there are at least two solutions. The word for generation (genea: Greek) could mean, as some side column reference Bibles note, "the human race". This is possible, since the events have not all happened and the human race

Taming The Flesh Through Suffering

There are at least a dozen books in my pastoral library that deal with battling lust. It is true that this is a huge issue for men and a great source of stumbling to many men and many pastors for that matter - so on one hand I am glad they are there and I am grateful for the insight they have given to me. But I was really struck by a verse of Scripture this morning from 1 Peter 4:1b-2. "for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions, but for the will of God." Simply put, I believe Peter is telling us that those who are suffering for Christ's sake have their mind on Christ and suffering and not on the passions of the flesh. The reason so many men battle with lust and fleshly temptations (and I include myself in that group) is that our minds are far from the things of Christ. Suffering in the flesh is the direct opposite of indulging the flesh. The man who is getting lashes on his b

Is That A Bible I See Before Me?

The Weakness of Islamic Evangelism Lately I have been struck by the testimony of those who have suffered at the hands of kidnappers in Iraq. One issue that comes to the front of my mind is Islamic evangelism. Christian Science Monitor reporter Jill Carroll spoke to ABC News of her captors holding her at gunpoint and forcing her to read the Koran, which she did. After several days they asked why she had not yet converted to their beliefs. Explaining that she needed more time she continued to read. Again the question came to her about conversion. Finally and saddest of all, she told them that she would convert because she feared for her life. But this leaves us with a strange view of the Koran and the way that Islam chooses to do their evangelism. If the Koran were powerful in and of itself, those who seek to convert Christians to Islamic beliefs would not need to use guns in the process. That is, you should automatically appeal to your most powerful source. The fact that they use guns s