Skip to main content

Can Church Be Boring?

Meditation on Mark 1:21-28

It must seem peculiar to some that church can be so boring to so many people far so long a period of time. What is amazing is that so many people are comfortable with "boring church." When Jesus went into the synagogue at Capernaum in Mark chapter one- things were anything but boring. Why?-that would be a great place to start asking our questions.

Two things stand at the forefront. One, Jesus taught with authority. Too much teaching in church is done in a spirit of weakness and lack of confidence in the text of Scripture. When we gain confidence in God's Word as innerant, infallable, and inspired our preaching cannot be without authority. How could they be - the words are straight from the mind of God. Therefore, they must be both authoritative and bold.

Secondly, we see Jesus confront a man with an unclean spirit. What is a man with an unclean spirit doing in the synagogue you might ask? Another good question, but we see uncleaness scattered throughout our pews every week. Our minds are filled with the trash that television pours out at us and we are a by-product of what our culture has fed us. Therefore, we stand in the same place as the demon possessed man. Jesus was not passive in his confrontation with the unclean and neither should we be. He met the devil head on and the confrontation was- well, not boring.

Our churches can break from boredom as well. I think a good start would be to see God's Word as authoritative and see His church as holy. We must recover at least these two things. A right view of Scripture and a cleansing of God's house will be no easy battle to wage, but easy was never the goal to begin with. The journey will be hard and for those who have already begun the task the least of their testimony will be - it was not boring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Generation of Mark 13:30

At the beginning of Mark chapter thirteen Jesus is leaving the temple area and one of his disciples points out the grandure of the temple buildings. Jesus' remark to that disciple concerns the fact that these buildings will one day be torn down. The disciples question Him further as to the times of these events, and so begins an extended teaching from Jesus on the end times.As Jesus' remarks are drawing to a close, He makes this comment in Mark 13:30: "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." (NASB) So the reader is left to wonder the meaning of this statement. Either our understanding of generation is wrong, or we are understanding what Jesus meant by "these things" wrong. I think there are at least two solutions. The word for generation (genea: Greek) could mean, as some side column reference Bibles note, "the human race". This is possible, since the events have not all happened and the human race

Taming The Flesh Through Suffering

There are at least a dozen books in my pastoral library that deal with battling lust. It is true that this is a huge issue for men and a great source of stumbling to many men and many pastors for that matter - so on one hand I am glad they are there and I am grateful for the insight they have given to me. But I was really struck by a verse of Scripture this morning from 1 Peter 4:1b-2. "for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions, but for the will of God." Simply put, I believe Peter is telling us that those who are suffering for Christ's sake have their mind on Christ and suffering and not on the passions of the flesh. The reason so many men battle with lust and fleshly temptations (and I include myself in that group) is that our minds are far from the things of Christ. Suffering in the flesh is the direct opposite of indulging the flesh. The man who is getting lashes on his b

What I Am Thankful For...

Our secretary asked me this morning to write out a list of all the things that I am thankful for so that they could be published in our church's weekly Enewsletter. So I gave it some thought. I wanted to be specific, because true gratitude is specific. The list is numerous and goes from the very serious to the very silly. Still, it is all true of me and in writing out the list I found that I am a grateful person. I encourage you to write out your own. Here is mine. The Spirit of Christ within me that both teaches me from His Word and disciplines my rebellion. Numerous copies of the Scriptures that water my thirsty soul. A beautiful wife who reminds me daily of the importance of laughter and still enjoys holding my hand. A wonderful son whose smile is as constant as it is contagious. Parents who are still giddy in love with each other. The youth who refresh me weekly with their questions about Scripture and ability to laugh at me and themselves. Those of the congregation who never c