Skip to main content

A Hero Who Will Never Die Again

Tuesday began like every other day of the week and it turned out to be extremely productive. In fact I was almost to the point of being proud of myself for all that I had gotten accomplished in a single day. As I was packing up my things for the day to head home I decided to check the news headlines at CNN.com. About halfway down the page I saw the title “Bandit star Reed dead at 71.”

To most people this would have hardly even given cause for a second glance, but to me it was something so much more. Jerry Reed was the co-star of my favorite movie of all time, “Smokey and The Bandit.” I do not argue that the movie is great movie, by all rights it is not. It is filled with foul language and makes a mockery of police officers, neither of which I approve of. But the movie holds a special place in my heart.

When I was five years old my parents took me to see this movie while we were on vacation in Knoxville, TN. It was my first movie in an actual cinema. The images on the screen were captivating; the fast car, the big rig, and a hero (The Bandit) that no police officer could catch and whom every man, woman and child found to be awe inspiring. The Bandit’s sidekick was Cletus “Snowman” Snow. He was the one who drove the big eighteen wheeler with the stage coach robbery scene painted on the side of it. He was the faithful partner, the trusted ally, who stuck by Bandit “for the money, for the glory, and for the fun – mostly for the money!”

In my eyes the two of them made up a duo to stand the tests of time. Like The Lone Ranger and Tonto, Batman and Robin, Fred and Ginger, or Lester and Earl. And even though I knew as a young boy it would be impossible to be them when I grew up, their fearlessness and flair for adventure would captivate my mind for years to come.

So to look on the computer screen and read that one of my childhood heroes had died took a little wind out of my sails. On Saturday I turned 36 years old. Still very young in everyone’s eyes but the teenagers. Still, old enough to face one fact; I must now watch all of my heroes from childhood die. That is, if the usual progress of life carries out I will have to watch everyone of the people that I have looked up to in my life pass away.

It is a very sobering thought and a very present reminder that life is brief and no one is exempt from the day that God will call them into his presence and our time on earth will be finished.

As I made the very short stroll home from my office to the parsonage on Tuesday I was reflecting on the passing of Jerry Reed and my upcoming sermon series that I have not yet put a title on. My aim is to spend the next several weeks looking at Jesus Christ and the picture that the Scriptures display of him for us.

A picture of God coming to earth in the form of a little baby. Taking on human flesh and growing up in the midst of a people that he himself created in his likeness. Living with and teaching men and women who were so sinful that they did not deserve to walk in his presence and then giving up his life on a rugged cross for the payment of my sins. Another hero placed in the grave far too soon.

This story, however, has no sorrowful conclusion, because the grave had no power over the sinless man that was laid in it and three days after his crucified body was wrapped in burial clothes and placed in the cold damp tomb God spoke life giving words to him and what once was completely lifeless took on new and everlasting life! And walking out of the tomb early on the first day of the week Jesus took his stand forevermore as a hero – my hero – who will never die again.

Seeking The Greatness of Christ With You Daily,

Pastor Mitch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Generation of Mark 13:30

At the beginning of Mark chapter thirteen Jesus is leaving the temple area and one of his disciples points out the grandure of the temple buildings. Jesus' remark to that disciple concerns the fact that these buildings will one day be torn down. The disciples question Him further as to the times of these events, and so begins an extended teaching from Jesus on the end times.As Jesus' remarks are drawing to a close, He makes this comment in Mark 13:30: "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." (NASB) So the reader is left to wonder the meaning of this statement. Either our understanding of generation is wrong, or we are understanding what Jesus meant by "these things" wrong. I think there are at least two solutions. The word for generation (genea: Greek) could mean, as some side column reference Bibles note, "the human race". This is possible, since the events have not all happened and the human race

Taming The Flesh Through Suffering

There are at least a dozen books in my pastoral library that deal with battling lust. It is true that this is a huge issue for men and a great source of stumbling to many men and many pastors for that matter - so on one hand I am glad they are there and I am grateful for the insight they have given to me. But I was really struck by a verse of Scripture this morning from 1 Peter 4:1b-2. "for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions, but for the will of God." Simply put, I believe Peter is telling us that those who are suffering for Christ's sake have their mind on Christ and suffering and not on the passions of the flesh. The reason so many men battle with lust and fleshly temptations (and I include myself in that group) is that our minds are far from the things of Christ. Suffering in the flesh is the direct opposite of indulging the flesh. The man who is getting lashes on his b

Is That A Bible I See Before Me?

The Weakness of Islamic Evangelism Lately I have been struck by the testimony of those who have suffered at the hands of kidnappers in Iraq. One issue that comes to the front of my mind is Islamic evangelism. Christian Science Monitor reporter Jill Carroll spoke to ABC News of her captors holding her at gunpoint and forcing her to read the Koran, which she did. After several days they asked why she had not yet converted to their beliefs. Explaining that she needed more time she continued to read. Again the question came to her about conversion. Finally and saddest of all, she told them that she would convert because she feared for her life. But this leaves us with a strange view of the Koran and the way that Islam chooses to do their evangelism. If the Koran were powerful in and of itself, those who seek to convert Christians to Islamic beliefs would not need to use guns in the process. That is, you should automatically appeal to your most powerful source. The fact that they use guns s