Skip to main content

Net-Flix, iPods, and The Roaring Lion

Fighting Against Isolationism

As I was scanning through the information for Net-Flix this weekend I was amazed at how easy it sounds. I simply sign up for the service and the movies come right to my door. I never have to leave home. Then I realized what never leaving home means. It simply means that I lose another area of accountability in my life.

As it is now, whenever I want to rent a movie, my wife and I go into the blockbuster store together and pick out our selection. Even though we have made a personal commitment never to watch a R-rated movie, I still find myself reading the back of the cases to see what the movies are about and of course to check the rating. What I have in the process is a means of accountability. I know that everyone in the store is potentially watching me and my conscience is telling me to stay above reproach in all that I look at.

When movies come to your door you loose this area of accountability. You can order anything you want and no one sees your choices. Simply, nobody knows! The same with the Internet. It gets piped into our homes and we watch it in seclusion from the rest of the world. Yet another area where we have lost accountability.

As if this were not enough I have one more woe to add to my list. This morning as I was leaving for work I saw two teenage girls waiting for the school bus. Both of them were standing by the road, silent, with ear phones in their ears, neither talking to the other. In public, yet in complete isolation from the world.

All of these things have one thing in common. They remove us from society – therefore, they eliminate all forms of interaction and accountability. The reason? The devil is roaming around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Who will he choose? He will choose the weakest of the herd, those who have wandered off on their own, and isolated themselves from the rest. And there he will devour them.

We must fight the good fight of keeping our families in tact and we do this through relationships and these are maintained through conversation and dialogue. Keep up the battle for our children, I am afraid we are loosing it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
good point Holy Papa! you are always right except about the internet being "piped" into the homes. last time i checked, it took 43 min to download Lil Brudder onto your computer.you might want to get your "internet pipes" checked out cuz they might be clogged. sorry, just giving ya a hard time! Much luv bro!
Anonymous said…
Good point. Our sense of community (and therefore) accountability) is definitly fading. If we would all turn off the noise for a while maybe there would be some real communication going on in our homes.

Popular posts from this blog

The Generation of Mark 13:30

At the beginning of Mark chapter thirteen Jesus is leaving the temple area and one of his disciples points out the grandure of the temple buildings. Jesus' remark to that disciple concerns the fact that these buildings will one day be torn down. The disciples question Him further as to the times of these events, and so begins an extended teaching from Jesus on the end times.As Jesus' remarks are drawing to a close, He makes this comment in Mark 13:30: "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." (NASB) So the reader is left to wonder the meaning of this statement. Either our understanding of generation is wrong, or we are understanding what Jesus meant by "these things" wrong. I think there are at least two solutions. The word for generation (genea: Greek) could mean, as some side column reference Bibles note, "the human race". This is possible, since the events have not all happened and the human race

Taming The Flesh Through Suffering

There are at least a dozen books in my pastoral library that deal with battling lust. It is true that this is a huge issue for men and a great source of stumbling to many men and many pastors for that matter - so on one hand I am glad they are there and I am grateful for the insight they have given to me. But I was really struck by a verse of Scripture this morning from 1 Peter 4:1b-2. "for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions, but for the will of God." Simply put, I believe Peter is telling us that those who are suffering for Christ's sake have their mind on Christ and suffering and not on the passions of the flesh. The reason so many men battle with lust and fleshly temptations (and I include myself in that group) is that our minds are far from the things of Christ. Suffering in the flesh is the direct opposite of indulging the flesh. The man who is getting lashes on his b

Is That A Bible I See Before Me?

The Weakness of Islamic Evangelism Lately I have been struck by the testimony of those who have suffered at the hands of kidnappers in Iraq. One issue that comes to the front of my mind is Islamic evangelism. Christian Science Monitor reporter Jill Carroll spoke to ABC News of her captors holding her at gunpoint and forcing her to read the Koran, which she did. After several days they asked why she had not yet converted to their beliefs. Explaining that she needed more time she continued to read. Again the question came to her about conversion. Finally and saddest of all, she told them that she would convert because she feared for her life. But this leaves us with a strange view of the Koran and the way that Islam chooses to do their evangelism. If the Koran were powerful in and of itself, those who seek to convert Christians to Islamic beliefs would not need to use guns in the process. That is, you should automatically appeal to your most powerful source. The fact that they use guns s