Skip to main content

Listening To and Praying God's Word

For the past few months I have devoted many of my bulletin articles to issues concerning our personal time with the Lord, or what I usually call ‘my quiet time’ or ‘personal devotion time’. This morning I want to speak again to this issue to try and clear up one issue that I may have been vague on and to add a new element or aspect to the issue of quiet times.

First, I would like to draw a distinction between devotional time and Bible study. Both are great and both are needed for growth in your spiritual life. Bible study, however, usually involves writings about the Bible instead of the Bible itself alone. Let me give an example. Many of us own Study Bibles. They are great resources and the notes at the bottom of the page can be really helpful. But during my devotional time I use a Bible with no notes in it. That is, I simply read quietly and patiently waiting for the voice of God to echo in my heart. If I do not understand every single phrase or historical reference, it is ok – I simply keep reading in expectation. Notes are good, but they can distract our mind and give it a chance to leave behind the intended goal of the quiet time.

Secondly, I want to suggest as many others have in the past, that we keep our Bible open in front of us as we pray. This is especially true if we have been meditating on a passage of Scripture in order to battle a certain sin. As you pray you can read God’s word back to Him, confess your misunderstandings, ask forgiveness, and plead for clarity and answers. Twice this week I used verses of Scripture right in the middle of my prayers and both times I felt God’s peace wash over me while I prayed.

I sincerely hope that this adds to the richness of your devotional life,

Pastor Mitch

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Generation of Mark 13:30

At the beginning of Mark chapter thirteen Jesus is leaving the temple area and one of his disciples points out the grandure of the temple buildings. Jesus' remark to that disciple concerns the fact that these buildings will one day be torn down. The disciples question Him further as to the times of these events, and so begins an extended teaching from Jesus on the end times.As Jesus' remarks are drawing to a close, He makes this comment in Mark 13:30: "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." (NASB) So the reader is left to wonder the meaning of this statement. Either our understanding of generation is wrong, or we are understanding what Jesus meant by "these things" wrong. I think there are at least two solutions. The word for generation (genea: Greek) could mean, as some side column reference Bibles note, "the human race". This is possible, since the events have not all happened and the human race

Taming The Flesh Through Suffering

There are at least a dozen books in my pastoral library that deal with battling lust. It is true that this is a huge issue for men and a great source of stumbling to many men and many pastors for that matter - so on one hand I am glad they are there and I am grateful for the insight they have given to me. But I was really struck by a verse of Scripture this morning from 1 Peter 4:1b-2. "for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions, but for the will of God." Simply put, I believe Peter is telling us that those who are suffering for Christ's sake have their mind on Christ and suffering and not on the passions of the flesh. The reason so many men battle with lust and fleshly temptations (and I include myself in that group) is that our minds are far from the things of Christ. Suffering in the flesh is the direct opposite of indulging the flesh. The man who is getting lashes on his b

Is That A Bible I See Before Me?

The Weakness of Islamic Evangelism Lately I have been struck by the testimony of those who have suffered at the hands of kidnappers in Iraq. One issue that comes to the front of my mind is Islamic evangelism. Christian Science Monitor reporter Jill Carroll spoke to ABC News of her captors holding her at gunpoint and forcing her to read the Koran, which she did. After several days they asked why she had not yet converted to their beliefs. Explaining that she needed more time she continued to read. Again the question came to her about conversion. Finally and saddest of all, she told them that she would convert because she feared for her life. But this leaves us with a strange view of the Koran and the way that Islam chooses to do their evangelism. If the Koran were powerful in and of itself, those who seek to convert Christians to Islamic beliefs would not need to use guns in the process. That is, you should automatically appeal to your most powerful source. The fact that they use guns s