Skip to main content

The Lone Ranger And The Cross of Christ

Colossians 2:13-15
13 When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh,
He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions,
14 having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us,
which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
15 When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them,
having triumphed over them through Him.

My wife says that I am terrible "movie-picker-outer". It's not that the movies that I choose are full of violence or nudity or anything of that sort, it is just that some of my favorites movies tend to lack a few key elements; such as plot, direction, good actors, and so on and so forth. So I was greatly dismayed this week as I did some research on one of the films that I loved as a child.

In 1981 there was a remake of the 1952 classic The Legend of The Lone Ranger. This movie held a great place in my heart. I was 9 years old when I saw it for the first time and one particular scene stuck fast in my mind. But since it had been so long since I saw the film, I decided to go on line to get my facts straight. What I discovered was less than encouraging.

In 1981, the year in which The Legend of The Lone Ranger was released, the movie received two awards. First, it received Worst Actor, for the man who played The Lone Ranger and secondly, it received Worst Film of The Year. This is not the movie I remembered as a nine year old. To me the film was magnificent, one scene in particular.

At one point in the movie Tonto has been captured by the "bad guys" (on false charges I'm sure) and is slated to be hung on the gallows at noon. The day of his trial comes and his best friend, his sidekick, Kemosabe - is no where to be found. Tonto is taken in hand-cuffs to the gallows- still no Lone Ranger. The noose is put around his neck - still no Lone Ranger. And right before the lever is pulled to drop the floor out from under him one gunshot rings out loud as a cannon blast - the silver bullet snaps the rope above Tonto's head- The William Tell Overture starts -The Lone Ranger and Silver come flying into town as fast as lightening - Tonto leaps from the gallows onto the back of Silver and the two heroes go blazing into the distance! And all the bad guys are standing there, jaws dropped open - saying "Who was that masked man?"

And this is exactly the picture the Apostle Paul paints for us in the book of Colossians. As he writes to the church at Colossae he explains that all of mankind is in the same hopeless situation, with death imminent, as they had been for thousands of years. Until one weekend in A.D 30, when the Son of God who has come from heaven dies on a cross one Friday afternoon and then early that Sunday morning - POW!- all of heaven and earth shake as sin and death are ripped from the clutches of a defeated and humiliated devil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Generation of Mark 13:30

At the beginning of Mark chapter thirteen Jesus is leaving the temple area and one of his disciples points out the grandure of the temple buildings. Jesus' remark to that disciple concerns the fact that these buildings will one day be torn down. The disciples question Him further as to the times of these events, and so begins an extended teaching from Jesus on the end times.As Jesus' remarks are drawing to a close, He makes this comment in Mark 13:30: "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place." (NASB) So the reader is left to wonder the meaning of this statement. Either our understanding of generation is wrong, or we are understanding what Jesus meant by "these things" wrong. I think there are at least two solutions. The word for generation (genea: Greek) could mean, as some side column reference Bibles note, "the human race". This is possible, since the events have not all happened and the human race

Taming The Flesh Through Suffering

There are at least a dozen books in my pastoral library that deal with battling lust. It is true that this is a huge issue for men and a great source of stumbling to many men and many pastors for that matter - so on one hand I am glad they are there and I am grateful for the insight they have given to me. But I was really struck by a verse of Scripture this morning from 1 Peter 4:1b-2. "for whoever has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, so as to live for the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for human passions, but for the will of God." Simply put, I believe Peter is telling us that those who are suffering for Christ's sake have their mind on Christ and suffering and not on the passions of the flesh. The reason so many men battle with lust and fleshly temptations (and I include myself in that group) is that our minds are far from the things of Christ. Suffering in the flesh is the direct opposite of indulging the flesh. The man who is getting lashes on his b

Is That A Bible I See Before Me?

The Weakness of Islamic Evangelism Lately I have been struck by the testimony of those who have suffered at the hands of kidnappers in Iraq. One issue that comes to the front of my mind is Islamic evangelism. Christian Science Monitor reporter Jill Carroll spoke to ABC News of her captors holding her at gunpoint and forcing her to read the Koran, which she did. After several days they asked why she had not yet converted to their beliefs. Explaining that she needed more time she continued to read. Again the question came to her about conversion. Finally and saddest of all, she told them that she would convert because she feared for her life. But this leaves us with a strange view of the Koran and the way that Islam chooses to do their evangelism. If the Koran were powerful in and of itself, those who seek to convert Christians to Islamic beliefs would not need to use guns in the process. That is, you should automatically appeal to your most powerful source. The fact that they use guns s